Saturday, September 8, 2007

Funny Story!

We've been back at school for a couple of weeks now. Our school went to all day, every day kindergarten this year and had to find the space (we are very over-crowded right now) for several new classrooms. We are in the process of building a new Middle school, which will open next fall. Meanwhile, there are rooms all over the buildings that are sort of out of place. For example, in my building of 3, 4, and 5th graders, you'll find 3 kindergarten rooms, offices for the Yellowstone Valley Coop (they run the Special Ed. services at our school including speech therapy, physical therapy, etc), and offices for the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch (a mental health facility which helps out-patients in our school). Also, next door to my lab is the Middle School computer lab, and finally, the Family Resource Center--a community outreach/support program. Lockwood has definitely got it going on!
So when the kindergartners moved in this fall, we were looking forward to lots of fun with and stories to tell about those little people. Turns out, though they run away sometimes and are really noisy in the bathroom, they aren't all that fun!
So I then turned to my current 3, 4, and 5th graders for good story material, and again, they mostly just bug me. No great stories to share yet.
Fortunately, I was saved by one of the teachers. She teaches 3rd grade and caught me in the hall on about the second day of school. This was her story:
"You know, I came into school the week before school started, was fixing my room up, and thought, 'I love teaching. I'm so glad I'm a teacher.' I got my room ready, got excited about the upcoming year, made a class list, and was ready to go. Then school started, the kids showed up, chaos was everywhere, my room is full of ADHD children (most of them undiagnosed), and I thought, 'I don't love teaching. What I love is SUMMER VACATION!!!'"
So there you go, only 171 more teaching days until summer vacation!

No comments: