Friday, June 20, 2008

What's the right thing to do?

Hmmm...what's the right thing to do? Can you see Azul (the beta fish) at the bottom of this scary fish tank (I know I'd be scared if I were a fish and had to live in an outer space fish tank!!)? He's the black speck among the green rocks. He usually stays at the top of the water, but he's been down here for over a day now. He's always been skittish, but now he doesn't jump no matter how much we flick the side of the tank. Our diagnosis is he is dying. The princess has had him for about a year. He used to be blue (thus the name Azul) but now he's mostly blackish. Here's the real dilemma: do we flush him now and put him out of his misery, or do we wait until he actually dies? What if he was about to make a miraculous recovery right before we flushed him? What's the right thing to do? Poor Azul.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never considered euthanising a fish, although I did have our darling dog,Princes, put to sleep when the vet told me that was what I needed to do. Hopefully, by the time you get this, he will have died or made that recovery!!
kp

Anonymous said...

Give the poor thing a chance. Never say never. You don't really know if he is in misery.
SKS

Anonymous said...

He could make it. Really. He is not floating at the top yet...
MB