Saturday, November 3, 2012

About "An Unfinished Life"

I am giving "An Unfinished Life" by Mark Spragg 4 stars!  Yep, 4 stars.  I really liked this book.  It was a page turner for me, but not in the sense of a thriller/Grisham type novel.  

This is the story of a woman and her daughter escaping an abusive relationship.  They head "home" to a place the woman left before the daughter was born.  She lands at the home of her deceased husband, and the story really becomes about her and her father-in-law trying to get along.  There is another old guy living on the farm, and I loved the dynamics between all these characters.

This writer really gets it right, describing the Wyoming landscape and farm in good detail, but not too much detail.  And he slips in and out of third person in strange and odd ways, but not in confusing ways.  

This book was made into a movie in 2005 that starred Jennifer Lopez, Robert Redford, and Morgan Freeman.  I have no memory of that, but I'm hoping it's on Netflix.  Good read.  I highly recommend it!


1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I think I read this one too. The abusive boyfriend comes looking for her and maybe he is killed?