Monday, April 20, 2009

The Culprit

I had a meeting after work. The prince had track practice. The meeting got out, and I headed to my car to drive to the other side of the campus to pick up the prince.

"Excuse me, Mame. I think you've got a flat tire," some nice girl said to me.

Sure enough. F L A T!!!

I don't change tires. So here are the events that followed:

Called the king's cell. No answer.
Called the castle, hoping the king was home. No answer.
Called king's cell again. Still no answer.
Called kings' cell a third time and left the following message: Am stuck at the school with a flat tire. Call me back!

My friend pulled up about that time to say she had an air tank at home and would go get it (luckily she lives about 2 blocks from the school.) When she got home her husband was pulling up, so they headed back over to rescue us.

Meanwhile I call the king a couple more times. No answer.
Then I call Grandma, who should be on her way home. Yep, she's only 1/2 mile away. So she too comes to rescue us.

Super Doug shows up with his air tank and fills the tire, but we can hear it leaking air as quickly as he is filling it up. So Super Doug then ends up putting on that weird spare tire that comes with newer cars. Phew! Good thing I read part of the owner's manual yesterday so I knew where to find the spare!

Meanwhile Grandma shows up and says, "It's not all the way flat."
That's right the top of the tire was sort of inflated!!! But I do appreciate that she came to our rescue.

To add insult to injury, I had to take another 8th grader home too, so I was trying to figure out how I was going to let his dad know what a loser I am in my BRAND NEW CAR!!!

As it turns out, I probably ran over the S P I K E pretty close to school this morning because I can't imagine having made much more of the distance without noticing it flat.

So thanks to Super Doug and his beautiful wife for the help. Dinner's on us!
Thanks to Grandma for not even batting an eye when I called.
And thanks to the king who never did answer his phone but is at Walmart having the tire fixed right now!

Scroll down to see the dastardly deed in person!


THE CULPRIT!


3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

That thing looks huge! No wonder it wouldn't hold air.

Anonymous said...

Being a former bolt guy I couldn't resist letting you know that bolt is a wheel bolt, the lug nut goes onto it. So it seems someone may have been having a worse day then you. Did you pass anyone missing an entire wheel? : )
BD

Anonymous said...

That huge thing didn't even have a pointed end. Hard to beleive it could even penetrated the rubber.
kl