Saturday, August 28, 2010

Maybe That's Why!

Thursday afternoon two "cool" 6th graders sauntered into my classroom. I started going over what the class was designed for when "John" says, "Why am I IN THIS CLASS?" He was clearly not happy to be there, giving me some attitude. So I told him his previous teachers had recommended it or his parents had requested it. Our conversation went like this:

Me: Did you have trouble getting your homework in on time?

John: No.

Me: Did your homework make your frustrated sometimes?

John: No.

Me: Are you absent from school a lot?

John: No.

Me: Okay, maybe you don't need this class. Work hard for the next few weeks and we'll see if we can get you out of it.

He wasn't happy, but we moved on. Eventually I asked if they had any homework.

John: No.

"Bob": Yes we do.

John: What?

Bob: Science.

John: We didn't get any in our class.

Bob pulls out the worksheet and shows it to John.

John: Yeah, we got that, but I didn't think we had to do it. I thought it was just for fun if we wanted to.

Bob: No. We have to do it and have it signed by our parents.

Me: (thinking silently to myself while trying not to roll my eyes or let out a loud sigh) MAYBE THAT'S WHY YOU'RE IN THIS CLASS!!!!

It's going to be a good year! ;)

By the way, John was absent from school on Friday!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Sounds like it might be a long year for you!