Monday, March 8, 2010

The Help

I don't usually review the books I read, but I'm going to recommend "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. It was published in 2009 so is still only available in hard back and might be pricey (I borrowed a copy), but it is really, really good! Set in Mississippi in the early 1960's as integration is just starting to take hold, it is the story of black maids who tell their stories of working for white families to a white woman. That may not sound like much, but it is a GREAT story as it unfolds. Funny, sad, and page-turning good. Even the "terrible awful" in the story is terribly funny. This book is like "Blind Your Ponies" by Stanley Gordon West for me. I'll be giving it out for Christmas to those of you who haven't read it. It's a keeper. Thanks Karen, for lending me your copy. I'll get it back to you as soon as the king finishes it. Let me know if you need it sooner!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved it, too! The characters, the setting, the plot... all good. I read it slowly so I wouldn't be done reading it too quickly!
No hurry on getting it back, but I do think we should do it for book group!

Mary Beth said...

I too loved this book and think it would be perfect for book club.