Friday, December 2, 2011

About "George Clooney The Last Great Movie Star"

It's no secret that I love George. He's soooooo pretty. So when I was at the library the other day and saw this bio on him, I decided I must check it out. What a disappointment. This was actually a revised and updated edition, but it was really just the author quoting other people who have interviewed him. I don't think she ever did! What's worse is that there were typos on about every 1oth page. You'd think, the second time around, those would have been fixed! It was interesting to see how he steered his career with integrity (he signed a 5 year contract to do ER but was doing movies by the end of the first year; he was offered an out of that contract but stayed because he gave his word that he would, plus he was having fun and making good money), but aside from that it was BORING. On the plus side, it was a quick read with lots of big print and white space. And the only reason it got one star is because it had lots of pictures! But really, all I needed to do was read the back pages where she lists all his movies (most of which I've never seen...and I call myself a fan!!!) and the awards they've won, lists the highlights of his life (basically a recap of the first 3/4 of the book), lists 28 pages of sources for all her information, and maybe most interestingly, lists the 100 movies he thinks were most influential in the 1950s-1970s. He gave the 100 movie set to friends for Christmas one year. You all can pass on this one. I've got ya covered!

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I'll pass on the book, but not on George!