Monday, January 2, 2012

Best Books of 2011

This year I read fewer books than last year--that whole less time on the computer, more time reading apparently didn't pan out, although I did blog less too. Must be life getting in the way. This year I gave 15 books my top rating (10 last year). Most of these books were books we read in our book club. Book clubs are a good thing! I do think that perhaps some of these books didn't deserve the 3* rating, because I really went back and forth on whether or not they should be 2* or 3*. It all lead to the conclusion that I must change my rating system so for 2012, I will implement a 4* rating. I have also decided that I will do a short review on each book I read, not just the top rated books, because what the heck? I've got nothing else going on! Happy reading in 2012.

2011 Books Ranked from 15-1

15. Mennonite In A Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen
14. The Pelican Brief by John Grisham
13. A Time To Kill by John Grisham
12. The Queen of Palmyra by Minrose Gwin
11. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
10. Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe
9. Hester: The Missing Years of the Scarlet Letter by Paula Reed
8. The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
7. The Client by John Grisham
6. Plainsong by Kent Haruf
5. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
4. Blind Your Ponies by Stanley Gordon West
3. Molokai by Alan Brennert
2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

And #1 for 2011: The Help by Katheryn Stockett


Even as I post this I think I should move some of them around or even take them off the list. Does Grisham really deserve 3 spots on the list? Probably not. And the 19th Wife...the fact that it's such a great book to discuss doesn't really mean it deserves 3*, does it? Oh well. I'll just publish it and move on. But before I do I think our book club should read Molokai even though it's not in a kit. It's a really good book!

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I agree - The Help was great. Let's read Molokai for bookclub. We can get a few copies from the library.